Minutes of the
Town Meetings



Borough Officials


Memo From
The Mayor





Allegheny County

Contact Us

January 28, 2008

The following elected officials were present: M. Cheberenchick; P. Coffey; N. Kovach; J. O'Malley; M. Warhold; R. Zezulewicz; D. Baumgarten. Council Member R. Carlucci and Tax Collector S. Torris were absent. The following appointed officials were present: T. Hartswick, Manager; D. Biondo, Solicitor; H. Lane, Police Chief; D. Ross, Building Official. Jr. Council Member A. Kocelko was absent.

The minutes of the January 14, 2008 council meeting were presented. Ms. O'Malley motioned to approve the minutes; Ms. Kovach seconded; all in favor; motion carried.

Mr. Zezulewicz opened the public comment section of the meeting. Being none, Mr. Zezulewicz closed the public comment section.

Bid Openings:
Nothing to report.

Public Hearings:
Mr. Hartswick presented Ordinance 860 requiring a permit for opening or excavation of borough streets, and establishing standards for opening, excavation and restoration of borough streets. Basically, the ordinance provides standard details for curb-to-curb restoration. Mr. Zezulewicz opened the public hearing on Ordinance 860. Ms. O'Malley questioned if utility companies notify the borough for street openings and restoration. Street openings are reported and permits issued, however the borough is not always notified for restoration. Mr. Cheberenchick noted that the ordinance establishes restoration details for concrete, brick and bituminous roadway repair. Council discussed enforcement of the ordinance. Mr. Zezulewicz closed the public hearing on Ordinance 860. Mr. Coffey motioned to adopt Ordinance 860; Ms. O'Malley seconded; all in favor; motion carried.

Civil Service Commission:
Nothing to report.

Real Estate Tax Collectors Report:
The 2007 final report listed January collections of $38,353.97 and a balance of $61,090.26.

Mr. Zezulewicz announced a delinquent real estate tax meeting is scheduled for February 12th at 10:00 a.m.

Council Committee Reports:

Building and Grounds:
Ms. Kovach questioned the status of floor replacement for the Municipal Center lower level. The main section of floor was replaced by the Public Works Department. Mr. Cheberenchick noted that the department did a good job on the flooring.

Nothing to report.

Ms. O'Malley reported that four applications have been received for the library board vacancy.

Planning and Codes:
Nothing to report.

Public Safety:
Nothing to report.

Public Works:
Mr. Coffey extended a get well wish to Ray DeLallo from Borough Council and Mayor Baumgarten.

Editorial Board:
Mr. Zezulewicz requested that council start working on articles for the Spring Newsletter. The article deadline will be March 17th.

Nothing to report.

Municipal Associations:

Allegheny County Boroughs Association:
Nothing to report.

Allegheny League of Municipalities:
Nothing to report.

South Hills Area Council of Governments:
Nothing to report.

Police Pension:
Nothing to report.

Earned Income Tax Collector's Report:
Nothing to report.

Engineer's Report:
Nothing to report.

Manager's Report:
Mr. Hartswick presented a request from Castle Shannon Youth Association to team sponsorship. Mr. Coffey motioned to sponsor three teams for $625.00; Ms. Kovach seconded; all in favor; motion carried.

Mayor Baumgarten discussed the Penndot utility meeting. Grove Road Bridge was not a topic at that meeting. State Representative Chelsa Wagner will arrange a meeting with Penndot to discuss the bridge.

The Allegheny County Mayors' Association meeting is scheduled for February 21, 2008. Chief Executive Dan Onorato will be the speaker.

Mayor Baumgarten gave a brief history of the Grove Road Bridge. The Grove was built in 1860 by the Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon Railroad. The bridge was probably built in the late 1800's or early 1900's as the only access from Route 88 to the Grove. In 1908 the Pittsburgh Railway Company purchased the right-of-way to install trolley lines. The Allegheny County bridge registry lists two bridges as Sleepy Hollow, one as a railroad bridge and another as a bridge over the creek. An old Castle Shannon street map shows a street continuation of Grove Road across Route 88 onto Willow Avenue, before Sleepy Hollow Road was built. According to bridge inspection reports, the bridge was rebuilt in 1935 by an unknown entity. The county states the bridge is not a county bridge. The borough is attempting to determine ownership.

Planning Commission Report:
Nothing to report.

Solicitor's Report:
Nothing to report.

Keystone Oaks:
Nothing to report.

Zoning Hearing Board:
Nothing to report.

Ms. O'Malley noted stop signs on Willow Avenue and questioned placement of "Stop Sign Ahead" signs. Chief Lane answered that those signs will be installed.


Castle Shannon

Police Reports

Police Alerts

Shannon News

Route 88
Construction Plans

Tax Office

Our History

Youth Activities


Keystone Oaks
School District

Castle Shannon

Planning & Codes

Site Map