Buying/Selling Property in the Borough of Castle Shannon
Please provide the following information in the request (or use a Property Sale or Refinance Request form).
- Current name of Owner
- If a rental property, the name of the tenant
- Address with Lot and Block Number
- Buyer’s Name
- State Sale or *Refinance (Dye Tests are not needed for refinances)
- Dye test is not required for Shannon Heights Condominiums, Grenadier Condominiums, Ellison Place and Willow Avenue Apartments.
Three Year Tax Certification – $30
Occupancy Permit – $50 (residential) or $100 (commercial) Both include one (1) re-inspection. Additional Occupancy Re-inspections will be $50.00 each thereafter for residential and $100 for commercial.
Dye Test – $50 (residential) or $100 (commercial)
(Tax Certification and Occupancy Permit payments can be combined into one check; Dye Test check must be separate.)
Please mail request with a check payable to:
Castle Shannon Borough
Attn: Planning & Codes
3310 McRoberts Road,
Castle Shannon, PA 15234
Municipal Claim Letter – $25 (request made to Jordan Tax Service, 102 Rahway Road, McMurray, PA 15317)
Castle Shannon Public Works will perform the Dye Test. Notify Borough of Sump Pump. Dye test is required for a sale of the property. This is to check to see if anything is connected into the sanitary sewer lines. This is the seller’s responsibility. Dye Tests are good for one year. Occupancy will not be issued until the property is brought up to compliance.
An Occupancy Inspection must be performed by the Codes Enforcement Officer. The Borough representative must be able to gain entry to the property for the inspection. Call 412-885-9200, ext. 105 for an appointment.
These are some of the most common violations:
- Electrical inspection sticker on the electric box within the last five years.
- Smoke detectors with operating batteries–one is required on each floor & in each bedroom.
- Windows must open and close.
- Railing on stairs.
- Switches and receptacles must have plates.
- GFI plugs where required.
- All bathrooms & toilet areas must have a window that opens or ventilation to the outside.
- General condition of the entire structure and grounds surrounding the structure.
- Habitable living conditions, etc.
- Twenty-minute fire-rated door between residence and garage.
- Under Act 121 you must install a Carbon Monoxide detector.
- Violation of any other Borough Code.