- Ordinance #837-2004 Rates & Fees Schedule
- Castle Shannon Borough Zoning Book Ordinance #891
- Castle Shannon Borough Zoning Map Adopted 10/28/2013
- Placement of Dumpsters or similar containers are restricted on Borough streets and governed by local ordinance. A $50 permit fee is payable to the “Castle Shannon Borough” Permits may be obtained at the Codes Office at the borough building or click to download
- Selling Property in the Borough of Castle Shannon – Requirements
Lien Letter, Tax Certification, Occupancy, Dye Test Procedure
Property Sale or Refinance Request Form
The Building Official handles property complaints and plan reviews and issues building permits. The office is responsible for new construction, including site plan development of both commercial and residential properties.
In Castle Shannon, persons moving into a commercial or residential dwelling must obtain a certificate of occupancy. This is done to ensure public safety and for the municipality’s planning goals. For more information on obtaining certificate of occupancy or other permit information, contact the Building Office.
To serve residents and meet the Borough’s growth potential, the hours of the Building Office, are 8:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. – Monday through Friday.
We now have a secondary source to issue building permits, Building Inspection Underwriters – BIU
You may pick up an application at the borough building.
Listed is a brief summary of the most frequently issued permits. Please contact the Zoning Department for additional permit information.
- Occupancy of a building – Permits are required for each new occupant or tenant of a structure.
This is the property owner’s responsibility. An occupancy inspection is required before each new occupant or tenant.
- Street openings – Permits are required for any work done on or in a public right -of-way
- Installation of furnaces/air conditioners
- Accessory buildings
- Additions or any remodeling
- Home -based businesses
- Solicitation – All solicitors must have permits – obtained from the Police Department – with proper identification. Forms are available here.
- Swimming pools – Permits are required for construction of pools in and above the ground.
They must be fenced.
Before starting any construction, contact the Building Office 412-885-9200 ext. 104.
A brief list of the most commonly referenced ordinances.
Please contact the Zoning Office for additional information.
- Animals – All pets must be leashed, licensed and vaccinated.
- Commercial Vehicles – Parking in residential areas is prohibited.
- Garbage Pick up – Garbage containers may not be placed at curbside before 6:00 P.M. the evening before pickup.
- Grass – All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of ten (10) inches.
- Junk Vehicles – Cars and trucks must be registered and currently inspected. They must be operable.
- Littering – Littering is not allowed. Litter includes weeds, unlicensed and inoperable vehicles, metal and building materials.
- Parking – Driveways must not be blocked. Parking on lawns is prohibited. Street parking of boats or trailers is prohibited.
- Recycling – Plastics, bottles and metal cans are picked up on the last full week of each month. All materials must be placed in approved containers.
- Sidewalks – Sidewalks must be litter-free and in good condition. Snow must be removed within 12 hours after a snowfall.