Solid Waste & Recycling Collection
Garbage collection will be every Monday or Thursday. Please refer to our 2019 Garbage and Recycling Calendar for more information. Recycling will be picked up bi-monthly as indicated on the calendar.
When the following holidays fall on a Monday through Friday, then collection is delayed one day. If the holiday falls on a weekend, there is no delay in service.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
Only one (1) bulk item per residence will be collected per week.
State laws prohibit the collection the following items: televisions, paint, oil, petroleum products, batteries, appliances containing of CFCs (Freon), chemicals, engine or car parts, electronics, and hazardous or infectious wastes. More information on recycling can be found in this Recycling Resource Directory.
Please note tires cannot be collected and televisions must be properly recycled. Please refer to the Recycling Resource Directory linked above for disposal information.
Garbage and recycling containers must only be placed at the curb after 6 p.m. the day before collection. Recyclables will not be taken if they are placed in bags.
If your garbage and/or recycling has been missed, report it by calling Waste Management at 1-800-866-4460.
For more information on Solid Waste pickup, please visit the Waste Management website.
Michael Brothers Hauling and Recycling will be running a three month long glass recycling pilot program. For more information, please see this Glass Recycling Pilot Program flyer.
Recycling is collected from Castle Shannon every other week. Please refer to the 2019 Garbage and Recycling Calendar for your recycling dates. Please place recycling in either a blue recycling bin or another container marked “recycling.” Do not place recycling in plastic grocery bags.
Waste Management will begin spot checking containers at the curb in 2019. If a container is considered contaminated, it will be left behind as trash. Beginning in 2020, the municipality will be charged $150 for every load the recycling plant deems contaminated. Residential recycling bins that are clearly contaminated might not be collected.
Recycling does not need to be sorted as we are a single-stream community. PLEASE NOTE: Glass of any type is no longer accepted.
The following can be recycled at the curb:
- Aerosol can – if punctured and emptied
- Aluminum Cans
- Cardboard (flattened and no larger than 36″x36″)
- Chip Board (ex: cereal boxes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes)
- Junk Mail
- Office Paper
- Plastic #1: PET #1 containers that are clear (ex: water bottles, dish detergent bottles)
- Plastic #2: HDPE colored or natural (laundry detergent bottles)
- Soft plastics, narrow neck bottles
- Tin Cans
- Paper and cardboard must be dry and free of food debris. Pizza boxes are not recyclable.
- Shredded paper will no longer be accepted for recycling.
- Tissues, paper towels or other paper that has been in contact with food is not acceptable.
- Make sure food contamination and caps are removed from cans and plastics and all containers are empty.
- Clean is very important as a half-filled soda bottle can contaminate an entire load.
- Separate plastic lids from plastic bottles (often made from different materials).
- Plastic grocery-type bags cannot be recycled at the curb. Many grocery stores have containers to recycle these bags.
- Do not place medical waste (needles, catheters or lancets) into the recycling containers.
- Plastics labeled 3-7 will no longer be collected.
- Glass will no longer be collected.
- When in doubt, throw it out in the regular trash.
- Ord. #746 Regulating the Collection and Recycling of Recyclable MaterialsFor more information on Recycling pickup, please visit the Waste Management website.
Commercial and Institutional Recycling
As of January 2019, all commercial businesses must establish private recycling pick up for your facility. Recycling is mandatory for all commercial, municipal and institutional establishments in the Borough of Castle Shannon in accordance with Borough of Castle Shannon Ordinance #746 Regulating the Collection and Recycling of Recyclable Materials. Please follow the above recycling rules. An annual report to the Borough shall be submitted by January 15 of the following year.