The youngest church in Castle Shannon, but by no means the least interesting, is the First Presbyterian. This may seem contradictory considering the original settlers of Shannon were mostly Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Monsignor Rice traces the influx of religious groups in his 100th Anniversary of St. Anne's History.
Before the 1911 move
Scotch-Irish Presbyterians had the place locked up for a century… The German Lutherans built a church in 1812; they seem to have come earlier than their Catholic landsmen, possibly from a different part of Germany. Somewhat later, the Methodists built their thriving campground.
March 28,1897, Reverend W.A. Jones of Knoxville Presbyterian called the first meeting of the First Presbyterian. The same year, construction of the church began. February 14,1898, the church was given its full name and reorganized. The next month, Reverend E. L. Mcllvaine became the regular pastor.
The move down the hill
Andrew Carnegie donated the church's first organ. Another interesting donation concerns land.
In 1911, due to the land donation and the access advantages it would create, the congregation opted to move their beloved Gothic church off the top of the hill. The church was rolled down the hill on logs over seven days.
Moving down Poplar Ave
The church was renovated in the late 1950's, but each renovation was accomplished with taste, keeping the original character of the church in tact. The church is complimented by a beautiful bell tower, white aluminum siding and simple corners, original features include a tin ceiling, a large charcoal-gray bell on red rollers in the open tower and beautiful stained glass windows which delicately accentuate the small rectangular structure. In 1983, the church was surveyed for landmark consideration.
Situated at it's final location