What do the utility marking colors mean?

How do I obtain permission to park on the street overnight?


You must call the police department, preferably by 3 p.m. at 412-885-9300, ext 120. Leave the date/day you are calling, your name and a phone number, the description of the car and its license plate number, and the address where the car will be parked. This procedure should be followed every day that the car will be parked on the street.

Sourced via CRIMEWATCH®FAQ page

Back to Index

How to I get rid of rats on my property?

We recommend that you contact a qualified exterminator. Our Public Works Department will only bait the sewers in the vicinity.

To prevent rodent infestation, do not feed wildlife, keep garbage in cans with tight-fitting lids, clean up animal waste from yard, keep grasses and other weeds trimmed, do not allow water to pool or collect in your yard and raise wood piles off the ground.

Back to Index

Do I need a permit for a new fence/wall/patio/roof?

Building/Zoning Permit is required for new additions, structural alterations, decks, complete roof replacement, and new construction. A property survey may also be required.  If you have questions regarding permitting, please contact the Building and Zoning Department at 412-885-9200 ext. 105.



Back to Index

How do I get a street light replaced or fixed?

For other street light outages within Duquesne Light’s service territory, please call 412-393-7000, extension 4.

If possible, please have the SL Pole # available.


Back to Index

Do I need a permit for a dumpster?

A Dumpster Permit must be obtained for dumpsters that will be placed on any Castle Shannon road. If the dumpster will be in your driveway, a permit is not required.

To obtain a permit, please complete the Dumpster Permit Application.  The permit is attached to Ordinance #875 Placement of Dumpsters.

Back to Index

How do I apply for a Building/Zoning Permit?

A building permit is required for most construction performed. Some construction projects require a third party agency (Building Inspection Underwriters) to perform the inspections. Please contact the Planning and Codes Department at 412.885.9200 x 105 with any questions.

An Application for Zoning Permit must be completed for projects such as fences, swimming pools, patios, parking pads.



Back to Index

How can I rent a pavilion at a Borough park?

How do I get rid of ground hogs and other live wild animals?

Animal Control Officers can be called via Allegheny County dispatch on the non emergency phone number (412) 279 6911, this is the preferred method of contact by the general public. County dispatch will in turn contact animal control via radio.

Back to Index

How do I dispose of old/unused/expired prescription and non-prescription medication?

There is now a repository box in the lobby of the Borough Building 3310 McRoberts Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15234.

Now is a good time to clean out your medicine cabinet and dispose of medications safely.The area is secured and recorded, but only available during business hours for disposal of medications. Once collected, the medications are stored until safe disposal can be arranged by CSPD. Call the police department if you have questions about the process – 412.885.9300 x111.

Residents who cannot make it to the building to drop off unwanted/old medications can call the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office 412-459-5000 and ask that the medications be picked up by a Sheriff’s Deputy as part of their D.U.M.P. (Dispose of Unused Medication Program). More information can be obtained at www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com.

Back to Index

How do I contact the District Justice (Magistrate’s) Office?

  • Magisterial District 05-2-17
  • Honorable David J. Barton
  • directions by Google maps
  • 5301 Caste Village Shopping Center
    Baptist & Grove Roads, Suite M-201
  • Pittsburgh, PA 15236
  • Tel  412.885.2111
    Fax 412.885.4630
  • Hours of Operation

Back to Index
Available facilities at :