Occupancy inspections must be conducted for a home sale or when a new tenant (commercial and residential) moves into a rental unit. Please contact the Planning & Codes office to schedule an inspection. Castle Shannon Borough enforces the 2006 Property Maintenance Code for these inspections.
Occupancy Permit Requirements
These are some of the most common violations:
- Electrical inspection sticker on the electric box within the last five years.
- Smoke detectors with operating batteries–one is required on each floor & in each bedroom.
- Windows must open and close.
- Railing on stairs.
- Switches and receptacles must have plates.
- GFI plugs where required.
- All bathrooms & toilet areas must have a window that opens or ventilation to the outside.
- General condition of the entire structure and grounds surrounding the structure.
- Habitable living conditions, etc.
- Twenty-minute fire-rated door between residence and garage.
- Under Act 121 you must install a Carbon Monoxide detector.
- Violation of any other Borough Code.