- Castle Shannon Borough Zoning Book Ordinance #891
- Castle Shannon Borough Zoning Map Adopted 10/28/2013
Common Ordinances in the Borough of Castle Shannon (PDFs)
Ordinance #837-2004 Rates & Fees Schedule
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 203.B Swimming Pools
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 203.D. Outdoor Storage Prohibition
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 203.E Accessory Building and Structures
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 203.G Fences
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 203.L. Firewood
Zoning Ordinance #891 Section 502.10 Low Impact Home-Based Business
Ordinance #875 Regulating the Placement of Waste Dumpsters
Ordinance #906 Prohibiting the Feeding of Wild Animals
Ordinance #910 Vacant & Abandoned Property Registration
Ordinance #914 Quality of Life
Ord. #917 Regulations and Requirements for Rental Property
Resolution #662 Rules and Regulations for Parks (domestic animals)
Allegheny County Health Department Open Burning Regulation
A brief list of the most commonly referenced ordinances. Please contact the Zoning Office for additional information.
- Animals – All pets must be leashed, licensed and vaccinated.
- Commercial Vehicles – Parking in residential areas is prohibited.
- Garbage Pick up – Garbage containers may not be placed at curbside before 6:00 P.M. the evening before pickup.
- Grass – All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of ten (10) inches.
- Junk Vehicles – Cars and trucks must be registered and currently inspected. They must be operable.
- Littering – Littering is not allowed. Litter includes weeds, unlicensed and inoperable vehicles, metal and building materials.
- Parking – Driveways must not be blocked. Parking on lawns is prohibited. Street parking of boats or trailers is prohibited.
- Recycling -materials must be placed in approved containers. Please follow the guidelines listed on the Solid Waste & Recycling page.
- Sidewalks – Sidewalks must be litter-free and in good condition. Snow must be removed within 12 hours after a snowfall.
The Building Official handles property complaints and plan reviews and issues building permits. The office is responsible for new construction, including site plan development of both commercial and residential properties.
In Castle Shannon, persons moving into a commercial or residential dwelling must obtain a certificate of occupancy. This is done to ensure public safety and for the municipality’s planning goals. For more information on obtaining certificate of occupancy or other permit information, contact the Building Office.
To serve residents and meet the Borough’s growth potential, the hours of the Building Office, are 8:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. – Monday through Friday.
We now have a secondary source to issue building permits, Building Inspection Underwriters – BIU. You may pick up an application at the borough building.
Listed is a brief summary of the most frequently issued permits. Please contact the Planning and Codes office at 412-885-9200 ext. 104 for additional permit information.
- Occupancy of a building – Permits are required for each new occupant or tenant of a structure. This is the property owner’s responsibility. An occupancy inspection is required before each new occupant or tenant. A Residential Occupancy Application or Commercial Occupancy Application must be completed and submitted.
- Home -based businesses.
- Solicitation – All solicitors must have permits – obtained from the Police Department – with proper identification. Forms are available here.
- Portable Signs. An Application for Portable Sign Permit must be submitted.
- Street openings – Permits are required for any work done on or in a public right -of-way.
- An Application for Zoning Permit must be submitted for the following:
- Installation of furnaces/air conditioners.
- Fences. (property survey required with marked location of fence)
- Accessory buildings. (property survey required with marked location of accessory building)
- Additions or any remodeling.
- Swimming pools – Permits are required for construction of pools in and above the ground.
They must be fenced. (property survey required with marked location of pool/fence)
Before starting any construction, contact the Building Office 412-885-9200 ext. 104.