Planning & Codes
Welcome to Castle Shannon’s Planning and Codes Department. The Planning and Codes Department administers Castle Shannon’s building and maintenance codes as well as all zoning matters.
The Planning & Codes Official also handles property complaints and plan reviews and issues building permits. The office is responsible for new construction, including site plan development of both commercial and residential properties.
In Castle Shannon, persons moving into a commercial or residential dwelling must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. This is done to ensure public safety and for the municipality’s planning goals. For more information on obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy please call the Planning & Codes office at 412-885-9200 ext. 105.
The Code Official works with the Planning Commission and Zoning Hearing Board on issues relating to building, renovating, and changing the use of a property/dwelling.
The Planning Commission is a 5-member board responsible for reviewing plans for subdivisions, conditional uses and new development. The Commission meets as needed the third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m., Castle Shannon Municipal Center, Room 118. Please contact the Codes Official for information regarding the Planning Commission. (412-885-9200 ext. 104)
Zoning Hearing Board
The Zoning Hearing Board is a 3-member board responsible for hearing and deciding upon appeals to the Castle Shannon Borough Zoning Ordinance, requests for variances, etc. The Board meets as needed the last Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m., Castle Shannon Municipal Center, Room 118. Please contact the Codes Official for information regarding the Planning Commission. (412-885-9200 ext. 104)
Listed is a brief summary of the most frequently issued permits. Please contact the Planning & Codes Department at 412-885-9200 x105 for additional permit information.
- Application for Change in Occupancy Residential or Application for Change in Occupancy Commercial – Permits are required for each new occupant or tenant of a structure. This is the property owner’s responsibility.
- Street openings – Permits are required for any work done on or in a public right-of-way
- Installation of furnaces/air conditioners
- Accessory buildings
- Additions or any remodeling (commercial buildings must go through our third party Building Inspection Underwriters) for permitting
- Home-based businesses
- Solicitation – All solicitors must have permits which can be downloaded through the Castle Shannon Police Department here with proper identification.
- Swimming pools – Permits are required for construction of pools in and above ground. They must be fenced.
- An Application for a Zoning Permit is required for all fences, swimming pools, sheds, signs, etc.
Before starting any construction, contact the Building Office 412-885-9200 ext. 104 or 105.
A brief list of the most commonly referenced ordinances. Please contact the Zoning Office for additional information.
- Animals – All pets must be leashed, licensed and vaccinated.
- Commercial Vehicles – Parking in residential areas is prohibited.
- Garbage Pickup – Garbage containers may not be placed at curbside before 6:00 P.M. the evening before pickup and must be removed from curbside by midnight of pickup day.
- Junk Vehicles – Cars and trucks must be registered and currently inspected; they must be operable.
- Littering – Littering is not allowed. Litter includes weeds, unlicensed and inoperable vehicles, metal and building materials.
- Parking – Driveways must not be blocked. Parking on lawns is prohibited. Street parking of boats or trailers is prohibited.
- Sidewalks – Sidewalks must be litter-free and in good condition. Snow must be removed within 12 hours after a snowfall.